Monday, September 26, 2011

Repositioning my Self

I will be willing to reposition myself today. When I lock myself into protective, defensive or aggressive poses, I am making any negotiating impossible. Being stubborn and clinging to my rigid position can be both dangerous and foolish. I can take another look.
I am willing to move and be moved.

Shortly after dark, the lookout on the wing of the bridge reported, "Light, bearing on the starboard bow."
"Is it steady or moving astern?" the captain called out.
Lookout replied, "Steady, captain." which meant we
were on a dangerous collision course with that ship. The captain then called to the signalman, "Signal that
ship: We are on a collision course, advise you change
course 20 degrees." Back came a signal, "Advisable for
you to change course 20 degrees." The captain said,
"Send, I'm a captain, change course 20 degrees." "I'm a
seaman second class," came the reply. "You had better
change course 20 degrees. " By that time, the captain was furious. He spat out,
"Send, I'm a battleship. Change course 20 degrees."
Back came the flashing light, "I'm a lighthouse."
We changed course.

by Frank Koch from 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven J. Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment