Sunday, January 15, 2012

An Excercise For Compassion

This exercise is taken from the "Avatar" course offered by Harry Palmer, and can be found in the book "Techniques for Exploring Consciousness - Resurfacing".

I have found this exercise very beneficial when I find myself in a circumstance of irritation or anger towards another. It is most effective when you repeat the steps three times. Upon completion, gage yourself - how do you feel now towards this person, and towards yourself?

As always, enjoy and please feel free to comment. If there is a post you would like to contribute, simply email me at masterfulthoughts@gmail.com

Objective: To increase the amount of compassion in the world.

Expected Results: A personal sense of peace.

Instructions: This may be done anywhere, and at any time. It is important to take a brief pause between steps to allow the intention to expand.

 Step 1: With attention on that person, repeat to yourself : "Just like me, this person is seeking some happiness in his/her life."

Step 2: With attention on that person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is trying to avoid suffering in his/her life."

Step 3: With attention on that person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person has known sadness, loneliness and despair."

Step 4: With attention on this person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is seeking to fulfill his/her needs."

Step 5: With attention on this person, repeat to yourself: "Just like me, this person is learning about life."

No comments:

Post a Comment